Proposal For Kitting Wood Dragons To Expand US Fleet

Bret Landrith

Proposal For Kitting Wood Dragons To Expand US Fleet

Post by Bret Landrith » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:47 am

I have been thinking about getting into Dragons but have noticed the US shortage of hulls, both classic and fiberglass. It inspired me to explore building one.

I went back to the rules for species of wood and they actually appear friendlier to US sourced wood than the SKF 22 or 30 sq. meter rules.

I also was researching strip plank as a dry sailed trailerable planking without the overlay veneer. However the advent of sandable plastic staples is good for cutting labor costs on veneer. The rules seem on second but not definiative reading to permit strip planking out of Douglas fir (Oregon Pine in the rules) but seem hostile to glass covered wood for new construction.

A thin strip plank with two external veneer layers might be the most competitive in stiffness and smoothness if glass sheathed wood is not allowed. I was tending toward just stripplanked.

Maybe kit sets are the way to stimulate a larger US fleet. Your mast contact for rigging, a laser plywood cutter guy for bulkheads and a building jig, a oak floor set and maybe jig laminated frames from another guy. And everyone orders the lead casting from the foundry with the mold.

This seems to be working with Swift Solo's growth as a class and the Dutch plywood kitter Waarship is still going strong.

If others are interested, I will volunteer to do floors!

Just thoughts.

Bret

Takk2

Post by Takk2 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:28 am

Hi Bret, I have a full set of drawings from 1961-62 including measuring templates for the hull as well the keel, allso know of a foundry owner that has a cast iron keel

Takk

Bret Landrith

Post by Bret Landrith » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:21 pm

I would be interested in the drawings. They would help my planning immensely. Also where is your foundry owner located?