Deck Replacement

John

Deck Replacement

Post by John » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:06 pm

I am inquiring about classic Dragon deck replacement. Time to give this boat a little face lift. I have reviewed many options, including a teak deck. At present I do not feel I have the time to properly care for a teak deck and I am considering alternatives after removal of the canvas deck cover(15 years old) that presently is rotting in a few sections near the outboard mahogany rail. (What is that piece called?) Somewhere I noticed that they have been using Sunbrella fabric for this purpose as it is suppose to be extremely wear resistant and waterproof. Dynel is another option, but builders here are reluctant as it can not fold easily around corners.

I would appreciate any comments from those who have gone through this.
Attachments
Img0023.JPG

Clive P

Re: Deck Replacement

Post by Clive P » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:50 pm

John, I hope both you and Louis in Okanagan have read Don Street on rebuilding wooden Dragons. If not the article is available at http://www.britishdragons.org/classicsdonstreet.htm .
I have a good article somewhere from Practical boat owner on deck covering. Made me think of using plastic teak. Looks very real. Light weight, Easy to lay, but costs as much as the real thing.
For my personal interest, what is your sail # ?
Hope the ice isn't on the St John yet! Clive P.