Goose neck and Shroud support

John

Goose neck and Shroud support

Post by John » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:36 pm

I am wondering if anyone can tell me about the goose neck fitting on this Dragon. Built about 1960. This fitting rotates around the boom, and around a spindle between the two square extensions. Some have thought it to be a furling device for the main. It may be a downhaul as well. I am not sure if it should hang below boom or above.

I was also wondering about under deck reenforcement of the shrouds. Has anyone got good pictures of how this may be done. At present my shrouds are attached to metal bars that are fixed to the outer hull and the oak ribs. Is there some way to attach this to the mast support to distribute the load?
Attachments
untitled.JPG

Dragonsailor

Re: Goose neck and Shroud support

Post by Dragonsailor » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:47 pm

Hi John

Of course it is a furling device. Old dragons and other old sailing boats with wooden mast and boom are equipped with this type of device. The boom shall be positioned as the picture shows. Not "upside down". We have the same equippment on our dragon SWE 40. However this device is never used due to the fact that dragons seldom need to reef their mainsail. Using this old device also creates problem where the mainsheet is attached to the boom. This point must be moved to the boom end to not interfere with the mainsail when it is winded up on the boom. If you still want to reef, the best solution / system is to mount a "single line reef" like modern boats use. I´m not shure if reefing devices are allowed in the class rules. However, they don´t improve the boat preformance since extra weight are added etc etc.

I have two pics of below deck reinforcements. They are uploaded on my blog :

http://dragonswe40.blogg.se/

http://dragonswe40.blogg.se/2007/octobe ... 2%201.html

See there for details. The D SWE 104 have so called "tie rods" going from mast step to the shroud fittings just below deck. This solution gives less stress to the hull compared to our solution (bad picture) where the forces are handled by two stainless steel frames. The aft one is worthless since there is no strength sideways and the hull shape has been deformed app. 7 - 10 mm on each side. A common "fault" on old dragons.

I hope this answer is good enough!

Regards
Dragonsailor
Dragonsailor
SWE 40 -1932